Planning & Building Regulations


Planning ConsentLandscape DADS Logo

Planning Consent is required for many of the projects you will want to carry out on your home or business premises. These will be largely external alterations only but can apply to internal alterations where the property is Listed or the alteration means you will be changing the use.

Permited Development

There are also many instances where your proposed project is Permitted Development and does not require Planning Consent. Whilst, on the face of it, the rules concerning Permitted Development appear simple to understand, these are quite complex rules and you would be well advised to seek professional opinion before carrying out any works without Planning Consent.

We always advise obtaining a Certificate of Lawfulness for proposed works before embarking on large expense in order to protect your investment. This certificate will put your mind at rest that the development is lawful and provide you with the proof you need that Planning Consent was not required when you sell the property.

Building Regulations

Building Regulation Consent is required for nearly all building work whether affecting the external or internal appearance of the building. The Building Regulations protect you as a building owner in respect of health and safety in the use of a building.

The Regulations cover:

Fire Safety
Contaminants and Moisture
Toxic Substances
Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency
Drainage and Waste Disposal
Heat Producing Appliances
Protection from Falling
Conservation of Fuel & Power
Access and Use of Buildings
Electrical Safety
Security (Dwellings)
Workmanship & Materials

Downlands Design & Surveying

At Downlands Design & Surveying we can advise on the specific requirements for your particular project in relation to the property and whether you require Planning Consent, Listed Building Consent and/or Buiulding Regulation Consent.

We can then prepare the necessary documentation, submit on your behalf and deal with any queries put forward by the relevant Authority.